Monday, January 10, 2011

Random Story and Freezer Paper

My love bought me a serger for Christmas and I was in shock. I could have sworn we agreed not to get each other big gifts, since the new tv was our gift to each other. I felt like a dork, only getting him jeans and stocking stuffers. :) He is a wonderful man!

Today in the car, Lilly told me she wanted to get married when she grew up. I said that would be okay if she could find a wonderful man that loved her like her Daddy loves me. It is amazing to be able to tell my girls how great of a man their Daddy is! Of course, after I told Lilly about her Dad, she told me she was going to get married when she got "o-dor, when I'm 6!" Ha! I said how about 26, and she said 6 was better. :)

I have several plans all ready to go for the serger, but have to learn how to thread it and use it first. That is kind of important. So until I get those projects going, I have a new slight obsession...FREEZER PAPER STENCILING!!

This stuff is awesome! I found a couple of plain t-shirts for the girls on sale, ordered some freezer paper online, and was all ready to go. Freezer paper is in the foil and sandwich bag aisle at the grocery store. However, I couldn't find any around here, so I just ordered some from Amazon.

You trace your design on the non-shiny side, cut out your design with an Xacto knife, iron it to the shirt, and paint away. The shiny side allows you to iron it to the fabric, creating a sealed edge that holds in the paint and limits seeping. Then when your paint dries, you just peal the freezer paper away and are left with the cute image you wanted. It is so much fun too! I went with an owl and a frog this time. Lilly wanted the frog off of her Carter's jammies, so I just traced it straight off the pj's.

Here are my stencils ironed onto the shirts. You just set your iron on high with NO steam.
It was hard to get a good picture of the colors, but the outside of the owl and the flowers is a petal pink color.
After the paint dried, I hand-painted the blushing pink cheeks on the frog and then used my FAVORITE fabric pen to draw the eyes and mouth.
I think they liked them!
There are tons more tutorials on freezer paper stenciling around the internet. Google it and have some fun!!

2 comments:

nana said...

YOU DID A BEAUTIFUL JOB! I'D NEVER HEARD OF THAT. IT,S WONDERFUL. AND THE GIRLS ARE BEAUTIFUL TOO!

Melissa said...

What a great idea! We even have some freezer paper at home. Their shirts turned out cute!