Friday, August 28, 2009

Cleaning the Floors

Remember my post on natural cleaning with vinegar? Well I am still working on figuring out even more super convenient ways to do this. Eric, or as I like to call him, Mr. Brilliant, had a great idea.

We have a Clorox Ready Mop that we were using to clean the floors. I wasn't excited about crawling around on my knees with this squirt bottle wiping up the floors with vinegar, and I hate regular, dirty mops.

Eric suggested emptying the Clorox solution out of the bottle and after a thorough cleaning of the bottle, adding my own vinegar solution. GENIUS!!!!

Here is my handy-dandy squirt bottle of 50/50 vinegar and water that I use to clean tons of stuff. Not great for floors. :(

So I did this instead...First, I swept my floors. They don't look too dirty. :)
Next, I filled up and labeled my container. I made this about 60-65% vinegar since we have lots of little feet (aka...the muddy dog paws that ran across the floor this morning) scurrying around my house. Feel free to draw a cute little flower too ;) I'm silly that way!
Put the Clorox bottle filled with the vinegar solution back into the mop and set it up just like you did before, cleaning pad and all.
Get to cleaning!! I tried not to be biased, but I have to say that it cleaned the floors super well. It got up some spots that I wasn't sure it would...nice! See the pad afterwards? Yea!! Bye, bye dirt!
Just make sure that you clean out the container REALLY well before adding the vinegar. Vinegar reacts with certain other chemicals and the last thing you want is to create harmful fumes when you are trying to clean naturally to avoid fumes. :)

I rinsed the bottle out several times over a week or so. Then I made sure to flush the lines well and let the bottle dry completely to ensure that all the Clorox was gone and evaporated away.

Happy cleaning!

No comments: