Thursday, April 8, 2010

When Making Up a Recipe Goes Right...

Ok, I am so pleased with myself tonight. I had a couple of ingredients that really needed to be used before going bad and I was in the mood to improvise. Now as most of you know, that can either lead to disaster or a glorious concoction...I made the latter. :)

There have only been a couple of recipes that I made up on my own and then took the time to write down because they were SO good!! This was one of those meals...

We call it, "Sarah's Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms". We actually don't know what to call it yet, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to leave a comment. Okay, so here is the recipe if anyone wants to try it, and sorry for lack of better measurements.

I took a deep saucepan and filled it with about 1/2" of chicken broth. I then added 1 pound of chicken breast tenders. I turned the stove to medium-high heat, covered the pan, and let the tenders cook in the broth until they were no longer pink in the middle. This took about 6-7 minutes.

Then I added 1 regular-sized can of cream of mushroom soup and a large handful of chopped, fresh basil that I have growing in my "garden" (the subject of a whole other blog).

I let the chicken, broth, mushroom soup, and basil simmer in the pan for a few minutes while I cut up and rinsed some mushrooms. Then I tossed the mushrooms in the pan. After a few more minutes of simmering, I added about 1 cup of finely shredded italian blend cheese.

Since all the flavors were simmering together at this point and the chicken was thoroughly cooked, I thickened it up a little bit. To do this, I put a few tablespoons of milk in a mixing cup with a large spoonful of flour. I whisked the flour into the milk and then added this to my pan. This is a trick my mom taught me and works so well.

In the end, the flavors were marvelous but I added a pinch of pepper for something extra. I would probably serve this over rice next time, but we were out. Instead, I made some cornbread stuffing and ladled the chicken and mushrooms over that. It was REALLY good!

Serve warm with a yummy organic herb salad and some breadsticks. :)

Just a few of the things I used...
For the breadsticks, I did something a little unconventional as well. I had a can of Pillsbury Pizza Dough in the fridge, and decided to use that. All I did was roll out the dough, and then pull of chunks and roll them up into breadstick shaped pieces. Sixteen minutes later we were eating really good breadsticks out of the oven. You all should try it soon!!


Also, besides my post on my little "garden", keep an eye out for one about these little guys sometime soon...

No comments: