Sunday, March 22, 2009

Our Fun Idea...Hopefully :)

So as the girls have gotten older, I have been cooking more. Their schedules change as they get older but once I get a new schedule set with them, I try to figure out how I can cook and clean while they nap or play with daddy! I am so lucky that their daddy is home quite a bit and can be so involved.

Eric and I have been buying a lot of groceries since we are trying to cook most of our meals and not eat out as much. We had no idea how much it would cost us to buy groceries every month. Well I have been trying to make things in bulk and freeze the extra portion. Last week we had the Sackreiter's over for dinner and I made my mother's lasagna recipe. I made 2 large ones and froze one away for a later date.

Well, we are out of a lot of things we like to have around the house. I contemplated making an afternoon run to the store, but then I got an idea. I was not sure what Eric would think about it, but he was surprisingly open to it....

I proposed that we get creative with the items we have at the house and see if we can go the last 9 days of March without buying much more food. I will have to eventually get a few more items, like my ever present jug of milk. I would die without milk!! Yum!

So we have some frozen items that will work for dinners and we have a fairly well stocked pantry. I have been trying to find great new recipes to try and this will give us an opportunity to get out of our "meal rut". I think we can go at least 4-5 days...after that it will be more of a challenge. I am really excited to try though. You never know what you can achieve until you try!!! Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Check out www.supercook.com you can type in ingredients you have and it will give you recipes! I use it all the time to use up pantry items.

Jessica said...

That's a great idea! I think Scott and I are going to try the same thing. We spent $150 on eating out just this past month.