Saturday, September 19, 2009

World's Best (Healthy) Pancakes

I love pancakes SOOOOOO much! But I wanted to make healthier pancakes for my kids than just the buttermilk ones you get as a mix from the store. My mom used to make whole wheat pancakes from scratch but those were never my favorite. Well, I have found the ultimate yummy pancake recipe that will allow you to give them to your kids, guilt-free!! And you will enjoy them too.

MckMama (Jennifer) regularly makes up healthy and delicious recipes and puts them on her blog. I got this one from her and made it a few weeks ago. The girls gobbled it up, all while saying, "MMMM!!!" after every bite. They are so rich and yummy, you don't even need syrup. A drizzle of honey is good on them, or you can eat them warm like bread. That's what the twins and I did!!

I wanted to make them today while the girls napped so they would be made and ready for tomorrow morning's breakfast, but since I was out of bananas and yogurt, I modified the recipe a little...they were still fantastic!

MckPancakes

2 c. regular old pancake mix
dash cinnamon
1/2 c. flaxseed meal

1 1/2 c. water

1/2 c. almond butter
1 tsp. flaxseed oil (I don't have any of this yet, so I used some good olive oil)
1 banana (or pumpkin, like I did today!)
1 egg
1/3 c. plain, whole yogurt (I was out of this too, so I used a Yo Baby, Banana Yogurt..perfect amount and really healthy!)
1/4 c. honey


In a large mixing bowl, blend pancake mix, flaxseed meal and cinnamon. Set aside.

In blender, combine almond butter, oil, egg, honey, yogurt and banana. Blend until smooth.

Add blended mixture and water to the dry mix. Stir together well. Make pancakes out of the batter.
Hope you enjoy these...they are AWESOME!!

No comments: