Friday, February 19, 2010

Strawberry Bread

This was a family recipe that we LOVED!!! We asked for it on a regular basis and I think my mom got it from my Aunt Cindy, but I'm not sure. Anways, I made it for the Women's Bible Study at church and actually had 4 people ask me for the recipe. I figured it would be a fun one to share, and it makes me think of my mom. :)

Strawberry Bread

3 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
16-20 ozs. frozen & thawed strawberries
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups oil
1/2 cups pecans (optional)

Mix dry ingredients. Make a well in the center. Add the liquids and mix by hand. Pour into 2 loaf pans that have been greased and floured. Bake 325-350℉ for one hour.

This recipe is very versatile too. I have been in a hurry and forgotten to grease the pan...it turned out great. No sticking at all. I have also used fresh fruit and it was delicious. One time, I forgot to thaw my strawberries and it just took a little longer to bake. I have used peaches, and most recently, a bag of frozen mixed berries. It was a mixture of strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. It was sooooooooo good!!

I also am not super excited about that much oil, so I used 1 cup of oil and then substituted in another 1/4 cup applesauce. Applesauce adds moisture without the fat and cholesterol.

I have also baked this recipe in mini-muffin tins, jumbo muffin tins, and small cake pans. I feel like I am rambling at this point, but all of this is to say that this recipe is just a keeper, no matter what you do with it. :) Happy baking!

No comments: